[:en]15 December 2013 (Dubai, United Arab Emirates): Moorfields Eye Hospital Dubai, the first overseas branch of the world renowned Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, has invested in the most advanced technology used for laser refractive surgery for vision correction, providing improved performance for patients in terms of speed, precision, safety and comfort, and often allowing faster visual recovery. Patients can also benefit from a special offer on vision correction surgery until the end of the year. The Schwind Amaris 750S uses an exceptionally small diameter laser beam with a customised ablation map, which matches the shape of the patient’s cornea. The resulting vision for the patient can be an improvement on pre-treatment eyesight with glasses or contact lenses. Moorfields, in Dubai, is among the first private hospitals in the Middle East to invest in the new technology. The Schwind Amaris 750S is the leading technology for laser treatment and operates with a very fast repetition rate: 750 tiny light flashes per second shape the corneal surface quickly resulting in patient comfort and better vision correction, correcting one dioptre (a measure of the optical power of a lens) of myopia within 1.5 seconds, and eight dioptres are removed within 13 seconds.
Dr Edmondo Borasio, Consultant Corneal and Refractive Surgeon at Moorfields Eye Hospital Dubai, said: “Patients should only have this eye correction treatment done once and so they want to have the safest and most effective treatment. The Amaris 750S really is the state of the art in laser vision correction – very fast and accurate, whilst providing information of the cornea on screen in real time. It is especially valuable for patients who have complications from other eye diseases and for those who have a complication following previous surgery. Moorfields is a referral centre for the management of complications following previous refractive surgery. The new technology, which is very compact and patient friendly, is already operational and the patient results have been very good.”
Clinical studies have documented the treatment quality achieved with the Schwind Amaris technology, with visual acuity of 10/10 (100 percent) or better achieved in nearly all cases. This means that a high percentage of treated patients could see even better than before treatment with their glasses or contact lenses. The study also shows that patients had improved contrast vision.
The Schwind Amaris 750S has two energy levels, a high energy level rapidly removes around 80 percent of the tissue to be removed and then a gentler beam removes the remaining 20 percent, creating the smooth surface required for improved vision. Since the patient’s eyes can involuntarily move for milliseconds while fixating on the laser light, the Schwind Amaris 750S compensates for this with its advanced 6 dimensions eye tracker that monitors the position of the eye with approximately 1050 measurements per second and detects all these eye movements and compensates for them, instantly.
Moorfields is currently offering patients (minimum age 21) a saving of up to AED2,500 on vision correction surgery – subject to terms, an initial assessment and the treatment administered – until 31st December 2013.