LASIK (laser in situ keratomileusis) is a common vision correction surgical procedure that reshapes the cornea and is used to treat patients with near sightedness, short sightedness, far sightedness and astigmatism.
The latest laser vision correction technology is now available in Dubai / UAE.
To make the right choice about refractive surgery, talk to your eye doctor – good results depend on careful evaluation of your eyes and a clear understanding of each procedure.
Lasik eye surgery has become routine at any age – for patients as young as 18 years old and up to 50 and even beyond.
How does Lasik work?
A local anaesthetic is applied using eye drops and a small flap is created in the top of the cornea, and the underlying tissue is shaped using a laser.
Advantages of LASIK eye surgery
- LASIK is effective -around 96% of patients get their desired vision
- LASIK procedure is associated with very little pain
- Vision is corrected almost immediately.
- No bandages or stitches are required.
- Adjustments can also be made even years after surgery to further correct vision if needed.
- After LASIK, almost all patients notice a dramatic reduction in the need for glasses or contact lenses and most patients don’t need them at all.
Disadvantages of LASIK eye surgery
- LASIK is one of the safest eye surgeries although it is a technically complex procedure and problems may occur, although they are rare.
- LASIK can cause a reduction in ’best’ vision – although this is also rare.
Are there any potential side effects
- Some patients experience some discomfort in 24 to 48 hours after surgery.
- Other side effects, although rare, may include Glare, Seeing halos around images, Difficulty driving at night, Fluctuating vision, Dry eyes
Is LASIK surgery right for you?
LASIK surgery suits people with:
- Near-sightedness (myopia), in which you see nearby objects clearly
- Farsightedness (hyperopia), in which you see far objects clearly
- Astigmatism, which causes general blurred vision.
Most older adults lose the ability to focus on nearby objects (presbyopia) and wear two glasses or varifoccal glasses. LASIK can improve their distance vision, but a patient might still need to wear near vision glasses only.